Saturday, April 28, 2012

Protecting Witches




Ages past… in fact, several months ago, when I was just a kitten…the older and slower cats informed me that one of my duties as a Familiar-in-Training was to protect my witch from dark entities that lurk around the house and garden.
 When they first told me this, I did not understand.  Surely my witch’s powerful magic was protection enough?  Nevertheless, I took their instructions to heart and set about my Duty.
I quickly found many such dangerous creatures rustling and hiding amongst the ivy and beneath the boxwood hedges!
My witch refers to these beings as  “baby lizards” and “Fairy Dragons”, but any Familiar knows that baby dragons grow up to be big and terrible dragons!  (I assure you – I have done my homework and read the tales!  I am, therefore, well -versed in such arcane matters.)   These diabolical cbeings must be exterminated before they can breathe fire and grow too big for kitties to wrestle with!
So, what I don’t understand is how a witch, as wise and knowledgeable as mine, can have such a soft spot for these slithering entities in their diminutive state!
I exhausted myself today, chasing and pursuing one of these potentially lethal monsters in and around the hedges.  My unsuspecting witch was at her potting bench on the porch, sticking green things in containers, totally unaware of the danger!
When I finally captured and deposited the scaly creature next to my mistress (So that she would know I was doing My Job and protecting her) she actually dropped her trowel and scooped up the little dragon!   Seeing it was still alive and only stunned, she gently deposited it in the bed of ivy beneath the pomegranate tree.  And then, she had the gall to invite me inside the cottage for some tuna!  Did she think to distract me?
Undeterred, I gave her the Look that she deserved and then started my hunt all over again!
And now I know why the older and slower cats said it’s My Job to protect her…. Because witches are soft hearted idiots!  I’ve concluded that it must be their one weakness and explains why they need a Familiar.

24 comments:

  1. Thanks the stars you are there to protect her, Grimalkin! Silly thing.. that beast would have grown up and scorched her! Job well done! Love, from Wisteria of Comfrey Cottages xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are forging ahead with your important work Grimalkin! You must keep your witch safe in spite of her unawareness. She apparently does not understand the danger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grimalkin, just remember, she has a "soft spot" for you too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Job well done Grimalkin! Your witch is very lucky to have a familiar that does their work so diligently! Your doing a FUNtastic job. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my..What a strong brave cat your becoming. Your Witch is very lucky to have you. =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, soft-hearted and sometimes soft-headed...You, as Familiar, will prevail!

    ReplyDelete